This week, Stasha over at The Good Life asked bloggers to come up with their 10 favorite movie quotes. I have the memory of a goldfish, so this posed a particular challenge for me. However, I’m a movie lover, so I have to give this a go.
In no particular order, 10 of my favorite movie lines are:
- I’m going to start by cheating, as this line is from a TV show, not a movie: “I could play the oboe.” ~ Mr. Heckles, “Friends.” This is my go-to response to the idea that I can do, oh, just about anything I want.
- “You’re making fun of me, Rizz?” ~ Sandy, “Grease.” A go-to line with me and especially my parents. Said to acknowledge anytime someone points out a less-than-savory fact about you.
- “You smell like beef and cheese. You don’t smell like Santa.” ~ Buddy, “Elf”
- “I do the cha-cha like a sissy girl. I lik-a do da cha-cha. I’m sorry we seem to be having some technical difficulties.” ~Evan Baxter, “Bruce Almighty.” Without fail, this scene of the movie makes me double over laughing. The second time I saw this film was on a plane in college. I was going to a journalism conference, after we got off the plane, one of my friends — who had been seated about half a plane in front of me — asked, “Was that YOU laughing?” Um … yes, yes it was.
- “Remember: What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Except for herpes. That shit’ll come back with you.” ~ Sid, “The Hangover.” OK, this movie is full of good quotes, but I think this is the moment — which is, what, 45 seconds in? — that let me know this movie was gonna be better than a run-of-the-mill comedy.
- “I love you, Daddy.” ~Ariel, “The Little Mermaid.” Tears. Everywhere. Every time.
- “Ooooooo, that’s a bingo! Is that the way you say it? ‘That’s a bingo’?” ~ Hans Landa, “Inglourious Basterds. Christoph Waltz plays the best bad guy since the Heath Ledger’s Joker. Also, I have a really gross crush on him. (It’s gross only because he’s a week and a half younger than my dad. But he’s sexy. Look.
- This isn’t a quote so much as a little ditty in the middle of “The Lion King.” But it was one of my favorite parts of the flick when I first saw it. And even now, it’s so cute: “If you’re hungry for a hunk of fat and juicy meat, eat my buddy, Pumba here, because he is a treat. Come on down and dine. Lots of tasty swine. All you gotta do is get in line. Are you achin’ (yup yup yup) for some bacon? (Yup yup yup.) He’s a big pig. (Yup yup.) You can be a big pig, too. Oy.” ~Timon
I’m having a really tough time coming up with two more. I’ve had this post saved for days as I add more. I’m happy with my eight.
Share your faves in the comments and let me know what I’ve missed.